Strategic Planning & Execution
Sounds good but companies often make it hard for themselves.
Like many things in life we overcomplicate them. Here are 12 tips for successful Strategy Execution.
- Once you have a strategy and plan developed, share it with your people otherwise it will never happen
- Be inspirational, explain the situation and the intent in simple memorable terms
- Explain the plan as well as the strategy
- Tell your people what they have to do, by when and what success will mean for them and the business
- Communicate meaningfully in their terms and language and test for understanding
- Keep it simple stupid, KISS your way to success, if it’s too complex people will not understand, avoid jargon and management speak
- Don’t hose your people with data and information, tell stories, people will remember these, potentially for years to come
- Solicit their opinions and ideas, defuse any dissent by listening not steamrollering
- Set an example, don’t ask your people to do things that you don’t, remember you are looked at 24×7, the way you act, talk and dress
- Change your vocabulary, call reorganised departments something new, make a clear distinction between the old and new worlds
- Measure and report progress, communicate where the business is to your people, good or bad, you have to share it
- Encourage and reward execution, no change can be accomplished without action